By Keysight Technologies
The Intelligent Car is Here
The automotive industry is accelerating its electronic technology revolution and fusing with the clean energy ecosystem. By 2020, 90% of cars will be connected and by 2030, 30% will be electric.
Dramatic increases in the number of sensors and applications in new automobiles have evolved the vehicle from a peripheral role to a network hosting clusters of connected devices. Cars now need to be optimized for:
- power efficiency
- sensor fusion
- high-power processing
- high throughput data connectivity
What are automobile engineers and manufacturers trying to accomplish by integrating so many diverse technologies?
Innovations in current and next-generation automobiles are expanding capabilities and performance to serve three new key areas.
Automotive electronics is the underlying platform for all operations and diagnostics, convenience and comfort, safety and security, and main support for the three areas of innovation.
- E-Mobility, applying clean renewable electric power to transportation. Hybrid or fully-electric drivetrains with improved batteries, more efficient power conversion and electronics power draw
- Autonomous Driving, increasing safety and enabling new business models. advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and autonomous driving with radar and light detection and ranging (LIDAR) sensors, camera arrays, and artificial intelligence algorithms running on powerful computing systems.
- Connected Car, communicating with everything and everybody.
Disruptive innovations in automotive electro-mobility are reducing air pollution. These efficiency innovations are possible because of advancements in electronics, chemistry, and integration testing.
Whether you are designing new power electronics to facilitate renewable energy integration, developing technological advancements in electric and hybrid electric vehicles, or engaged in powering home energy management systems, design and test parameters are evolving rapidly in the energy ecosystem.
Bring your breakthrough energy innovations to market faster and more safely with the latest test solutions.
Cells and Batteries
E-mobility’s soaring demand is creating a quest for cells and batteries with better charge/discharge and higher capacity, to offer improved performance and range without compromising quality. Production of these batteries must meet the growing demand for energy density, safety, and durability at costs optimized to be market-competitive. Effective and comprehensive testing solutions can help accelerate design and production of new generations of batteries for e-mobility.
SOLUTION: LI-ION CELL SELF-DISCHARGE MEASUREMENT SYSTEMS
Keysight’s BT2191A and BT2152A self-discharge measurement solutions provide a revolutionary reduction in the time to measure and characterize self-discharge performance of Li-Ion cells for both design and verification phases and mass production phases. Instead of using the conventional time-consuming open-circuit voltage measurement method, Keysight uses a potentiostatic method to directly measure the self-discharge current of the cell.
Keysight’s innovative approach to characterizing the self-discharge behavior of cells can help you:
- Reduce design cycle time and get to market faster
- Decrease testing time from weeks to hours and save inventory and space in manufacturing
Increasing Reliability and Efficiency in Next Generation Power Converter Designs
Cells and Batteries
SOLUTION: BT2200 CHARGE-DISCHARGE PLATFORM
The Keysight BT2200 Charge-Discharge Platform offers modular configurations to support cells requiring maximum currents ranging from 6 A to 200 A, with 8 256 cells or user channels per chassis.
This cost-effective and easily reconfigurable solution for Li-Ion cell forming provides:
- Flexible modular configurations as your cell requirements and capacities change
- Accurate measurements of current, voltage, and capacity made at 1s sample intervals
Ensuring that the charging function is correctly performed between the charging infrastructure and the HEV/EV is a complex process involving numerous stakeholders: vehicle manufacturers and suppliers, certification bodies, manufacturers and operators of charging infrastructure such as in vehicle chargers, wall chargers, or charging columns. The primary goal of testing is to ensure interoperability between all of these EV charging equipment.
SOLUTION: SCIENLAB CHARGINGDISCOVERYSYSTEM (CDS)
Scienlab, a Keysight company, has been helping equipment suppliers of HEV/EV charging with the ChargingDiscoverySystem (CDS), which emulates the charging communication of the HEV/EV or electric vehicle supply equipment. Various electrical parameters can be measured and tested at the same time for compliance with industry standards.
The CDS offers flexibility and a wide range of applications:
- Comprehensive testing of all charging elements including charging stations, wall chargers, charging controller, battery management system and batteries
- Fully-programmable and versatile AC or DC charging station
To continue reading…